FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will I have problems flying in the future?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:40 pm
jdrtravel

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
-------
I truly like your very understandable explanation........Sad though that 99% of passengers do not realize this and rightly so (not their fault). Long gone are the days when someone at an airline (call center or counter) was well-trained to either explain things clearly and actually be able to fix it without the ever-present inability to think out of the box, make an exception, save the passenger from an unnecessary fees or worse, (the passenger) be left holding the bag, stranded and at a complete loss of what to do.

Been in this industry well over 30+ years. It was so easy to actually HELP people when things went wrong, bring relief to them, make a way out, offer options that were palatable. Now agents shake in their boots anticipating some heavy-handed supervisor calling them on the carpet for the smallest of exceptions, changing a reservation, waiving a fee, etc. Now they are nothing more than button-pushers on the kiosks. Better search out very senior agents if you want someone who will know how to change a ticket, over-ride something and take the problem a bit further than the word "no" or "you need to pay us this (
exorbitant) fee".

In general, this does not describe most of my experiences with Delta agents. While I've certainly run into new/poorly trained reps (especially when calling late night), most of the time I've had excellent customer service from Delta.