FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on Ethiopian Airways - Business Class
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:14 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by aadilh
Hi All,
Need some of your advice, I am able to get Ethiopian Airways business class tickets (saver awards) from India to US, with my family and United tickets are all economy award travel.
Am 1K with United.
The only question I have is that, is the Ethiopian Airways, still a good bet to get, never ever flown that airlines and knowing some history of it, would you recommend it or not?

Thanks for all your help in advance, appreciate it.

AD
Despite the recent MAX 8 loss, 74 year old Ethiopian is not just one of Africa’s leading airlines, it’s one of the world’s safest airlines. I’d certainly not hesitate to fly ET (I’ve not done so, but I’ve flown a number of African airlines such as BP, KQ, QM, SA, SW (and UM in better days), for instance, and some smaller, local carriers in various countries.

But both the airline, and the nation as a whole, have a history of excellent safety on a continent where aviation practices can sometimes be dicey. The US Federal Aviation Administration gives Ethiopia a Category 1 safety rating, the organization’s highest, which means it can operate flights to the US, which it does. The nation also passes muster with the EU’s European Aviation Safety Agency regulations.

Ethiopian Airlines, the national flag carrier, also has a trustworthy safety report card, and a large fleet — the biggest in Africa — of modern Boeing and Airbus airplanes. It flies among others the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, for which it was one of the earliest customers, and the Airbus A350. It’s also a leading member of Star Alliance, the largest airline alliance in the world, along with names such as Lufthansa, United and Singapore Airlines. As an alliance member, it must maintain stringent safety protocols.

The airline has a safety rating of six stars out of a possible seven on respected aviation site AirlineRating.com. Those ratings are based on safety rankings from international regulatory bodies and how often airlines have fatalities. - link to Gary Leff’s 12 Mar 2019 article in “The Points Guy” blog

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 26, 2019 at 8:19 am