FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage Runs turnarounds / turnabouts / transits:- Experiences please
Old Aug 12, 2004, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Does anyone have an answer to my PEK (Beijing) questions?
You probably want to check with your local Chinese consulate/embassy. I know that in Shanghai there is a 48 hour visa free period. People with certain passports can enter visa free into the country (i.e., US and I do not know which other nationalities). This 48 hour visa free period was supposed to be extended to Beijing. I am not sure if it has been implemented (but I think it has). If you are going to enter with the 48 hour visa free period, you will have to show your airplane ticket leaving out the same airport within 48 hours. They immigration officers will enforce this (I knew an American who entered Shanghai after arriving from Hong Kong and did not have a visa. The immigration officers made her purchase an airplane ticket out of the country (within 48 hours) before they let her enter Shanghai.

You may also want to drop this question at www.lonelyplanet.com in the China section. Maybe someone who is more knowledgable of Beijing can give you a definitive answer.