FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:39 pm
Stranger
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skybluesea

@Stranger
while I agree in principle, and to stick to Thread topic, the reality is Boeing built & sold an aircraft that AC shareholders were willing to buy, presumably after AC mgmt due diligence. And we may never know how AC & Boeing settle the fall-out between them, save any E&O insurance / warranty proceeds that may cover latent defects that become evident after contract signed.
About due diligence, it is hard to see how far airlines can go beyond effectively trusting Boeing or Airbus. I don't believe AC has/had the technical capability of assessing in detail the design of these airplanes. It's like the old say, no one was ever fired for buying IBM.
Instead, what we do know, for sure, only three parties exist that will pay the freight?

1. Boeing Shareholders
2. AC Shareholders
3. AC Customers

And given Canada duopoly with WJ in exact same boat, adjusted for any contract variances, which of these three parties will end up paying here?

A lot of high paid executives, solicitors, & political advocates working overdrive to keep 1. & 2. whole.

So who is looking out for travelers interests and pocketbook?
To some extent the travelling public is already paying. This said, when an airline buys a plane there surely is an expectation that the product is fit for the purpose. I would think even with "high paid executives," good lawyers etc., Boeing will end up the main victim of their corner cutting. This said, it would only be fair for AC shareholders to suffer also to some extent and yes, they likely will. As to the flying public, I can only speak for myself. Yes, I am willing to suffer somewhat higher fares for the sake of ending up on a safer plane. This said, I am sure most people will want to have it both ways. As usual. And I won't cry for these.