FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:47 pm
ridefar

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
The purpose of MCAS is to make the MAX fly like non-MAX in a very small area of the flight envelope, light load and max aft CoG. The difference between the two is that the MAX requires less back pressure on the yoke. According to Juan Brown (a 737 NG pilot, currently flying 777) in one of the videos I posted earlier, pilots he knows who have flown the MAX say they can barely tell the difference between the MAX and non-MAX with MCAS turned off.
So why have it?

Seriously. Not trying to be snarky at all. If that one area of the flight envelope is the only reason for it, then why have it? Either Boeing's opinion of the size of that envelope, or the likelihood of a stall in that envelope's is very different than the pilot you cited, or...? I can't think of another reason, doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

So, back to the line of reasoning: if it is required, then it should be fixed (including hardware). If the hardware isn't fixed, then the software will make it more likely to turn off. If it is more likely to turn off, then it is less likely to be engaged when it is actually needed. In which case I am just asking if this training that is being recommended or required (depending on your jurisdiction) includes training for flying the plane when MCAS is required but not engaged. Because if the training only includes how to quickly disengage MCAS, then nothing has been accomplished but trading one problem for another.