FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:48 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by iapetus
If we all start out on the same PNR, will the system automatically assign one each of the iapetus jrs. to be our CPU companion? Does it also automatically split the PNR, or will I have to call UA to request that?
The computer will not perform any optimizations for you, since it does not know what you would want. The default is all-or-none clearance; if you want something else (like pairs or individual) you will have to split the PNR yourself (by calling).

The PNR will automatically split at check-in to the individual level (opt-out possible if CPU, not possible if an instrument waitlist is present - you would have to remove the waitlist before T-25h to departure).

Given our prioritization, I am guessing that splitting PNRs increases our chances of at least two of us getting upgraded, yes? What other strategies should I have in mind when flying as a family, other than the typical ones that apply to anyone trying to maximize their upgrade potential? I've always been the only one to have status, and I'm looking forward to the possibility to extending those benefits further (even if the four-person CPU is few and far (maybe never?) between).
Splitting to pairs significantly improves your chances, yes. I would probably do the two-pair strategy, although if flying with instruments and okay with any 3/1 split then you could do individual PNRs. That gets to be a hassle for reservation management though.

Ah, and what are the implications for our upgrade possibilities if the iapetus jrs. are flying on award tickets on in BE while mrs. iapetus and I travel on a regular Economy ticket? Can I assume that only mrs. iapetus and I would be upgrade-eligible in such a scenario?
Award tickets will be on a separate PNR from your paid ticket and will not be upgrade-eligible (unless both miles and instrument or pax are GS).