FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annoying / Dishonest Hong Kong Taxi Drivers
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:30 am
Gongzuokuang

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Just got back from a trip to Hong Kong. I checked my Uber app and found well over $3000HKD in spending. I also did take some taxis, but it was probably less than $500HKD. It was usually at places like Kowloon Station, where setting a pickup location might not be easy. And of the few times I did try to take taxis, I had one guy refuse the drive from WanChai to Central. I did have some fun as I already had my camera ready when he rolled down the window. When he gave me his head shake and dismissive hand wave I shouted "illegal" and snapped a picture. OMG, the look on his face was priceless! He jumped out of the cab yelling at me in Canto, to which I just give him a dismissive wave of the hand! LOL!

Uber has it's issues. You need to wait longer. There were times when I would schedule the uber and be waiting as I watched empty "for hire" taxis drive by. And there were a few times when the GPS location was not accurate; like setting the pickup for the wrong side of the road. But all things considered I found my stress level was far less. Setting the destination was much easier. And 100% of the drivers were polite. And not only did it conserve my cash, but I got points because it all charges to my Amex. :-)

Uber is the future, and it's success is entirely because of these snotty, arrogant cab drivers.