FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling with a bicycle on KLM
View Single Post
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:06 am
irishguy28
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MrCheapSeats
I read the small print, oh no, every bike box on the market falls outside the KLM max dimensions, specifically no hard bike boxes are 23cm and under. Am I to understand that KLM do not take bikes at all if they are properly packed in a hard case. I cannot get a straight answer from the 'KLM Service Centre'.
Now, I've never taken a bike on a KLM flight, but I think you have misinterpreted the regulations.

176.5 * 23 * 101.5 cm are the dimensions of the KLM bike boxes you can purchase at Schiphol. This does not mean that a bike box of your own has to have the same, or smaller dimensions. They are just telling you the dimensions of the box available at AMS, as clearly not all bike types will fit these boxes. (But this blogpost indicates that L+B+H must be less than 300cm)

My understanding is that you can use your own hard-walled bike box, as long as the total weight is 23kg or less.

And I wouldn't just turn up; you're supposed to request a place at least 48 hours in advance, giving the dimensions of the bike.