FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where are you going next?
View Single Post
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:23 am
BESVISOR
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by HKTraveler

Can you share more about what you like about the FS? I visit Kyoto a few times a year but have yet to try it due to its location. Aside from an occasional ryokan stay, I have been staying at the RC mostly for its service and location.
I think the RC Kyoto is actually great and especially for a RC. Maybe the only RC I've ever really liked. Great location, service and the hard product is fine (loved our Terrace Suite with Mt./River View) but I still just don't love the decor and design of RC a whole lot. I love very subtle designs of Aman and FS much more. This is of course highly subjective.

I think the hard product of FS Kyoto is just much better (for my personal taste) and while they don't have the Mt. or River next to it, I really liked their garden/pond.
The pool / spa is nicer. The FS feels more like a hidden retreat to me than RC. RC is also a bit dark (especially the downstair restaurant for breakfast, not an ideal setting to start my day) where FS feels brighter and airy. Upgrade has been better at FS than RC for my clients as well so that makes me a bit bias towards FS also.

Nonetheless, I do think this RC is actually solid and if you're happy with it (esp. if RC's location is important to you), I wouldn't push for you to move to FS. However, if you visit Kyoto often then it certainly makes sense to give FS a try and if you don't like it, can always return to RC and now you'll know for sure