FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No joke: Arne named CEO of the year
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:09 am
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
American is the biggest airline in the world - doesn't make it the best, not by a long shot. Same goes with Marriott.

And if one thinks the Marriott rewards program is "second to none"...speaks to a lack of sampling other programs
Absolutely true. But a rational consumer looks at more than just loyalty program. For me, it's the program combined with the fact that I can find a hotel that participates in that program virtually everywhere I need to go...even more so after the merger. So Marriott needs to have a program that's "just good enough" in combination with the other attributes of their business. I'm not judging if they've found that sweet spot or not, just saying it exists and it's a personal decision. If you're a person who travels to 3-4 destinations regularly, you might go with a company that has a better program. But if every week you're in a different US city, and some of those are in rural areas, for example, you might feel a little stuck with either Marriott or Hilton.

Bottom line, I'm sure the above isn't news to anyone, but ultimately it's a personal decision about what hotel company fits you best.