FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you "take care of" the concierge in a luxury hotel?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:44 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
If a concierge or concierge team has been particularly impressive in organizing special excursions out of the norm or in getting reservations at tough gets, I will tip for sure. But it isn’t something I always do. I most certainly tipped the concierge team at the St Regis New York (after getting us into EMP and the Rose Bar), the Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho (after getting us into Yoshitake, Sawada, and Narisawa PLUS getting us the private samurai lesson with the Kill Bill choreographer), the Suiran Kyoto (the whole team after crazy efforts on our behalf), and St Regis Florence (after arranging so many excursions and private wine tasting events).

I’ve regularly tipped the StR San Francisco concierge team (and other teams) for always getting us crazy restaurant bookings even when they’ve not been generally available or before the booking window even opens; I suppose it’s not surprising that they always go the extra mile for me whenever I need it.

I do tend to leave one comprehensive tip with a front office manager for housekeeping, concierge, front desk, and bell staff—only at luxury hotels or other hotels that have treated me particularly well. Depending on the hotel, I’ve left comprehensive tips as small as $10/day and as large as $50/day.