FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Organic Matter
Thread: Organic Matter
View Single Post
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:17 am
gsoltso

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
99.99999% of travelers transiting a TSA Checkpoint truly want to do things that help themselves through the Blue Glove Gauntlet. When screeners play coy and won't explain a concern so that we can assist in the process it only makes TSA seem petty and certainly doesn't build allies. Travelers are not your enemy even though we are too often treated that way. TSA screeners should remember at all times that they are the face of TSA, not the FSD, AFSD, or other higher ups. Want to make your jobs easier? Then build trust and rapport with travelers.
I have mirrored many of your statements here and at other sites. I have always indicated that passengers are not the enemy, they are simply people trying to get from point A to point B with as little hassle as possible. A passenger that comprehends what is going on, and what is being asked/explained of/to them, they are much more likely to be:

A. Understanding of the process, even if they don't understand the reasoning behind it or agree with it
B. Able to get through the checkpoint with less challenge
C. Willing participants in the process (which removes many of the other challenges that passengers routinely face)

I (and many of my coworkers) work hard to foster a cooperative environment, all day, every day. None of us is perfect, but the minimum that passengers should expect is a professional engagement that is courteous - and the organization incorporates that attitude in almost every single organized training class we have. It is a benchmark in the Basic training program that TSOs go through at FLETC. If a TSO is professional, courteous and follows the SOP, almost all of the escalations become about TSA policy, or personal issues of the passenger, not the TSO standing in front of you (at least, for the vast majority of escalations). Building that rapport and connections with the flying public creates a much calmer checkpoint, which usually translates to an easier transition for passengers (and for the TSOs, if we are going to be completely honest). I have always agreed with you on many of these points.