FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Low budget/low hassle destination - Bilbao, Spain
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:03 am
Romelle

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Low budget/low hassle destination - Bilbao, Spain

Often flights to some small relatively nearby cities are just a little more expensive than to big major cities. But then there are things about those destinations that more than offset that little extra cost.

I recently flew Skyteam from MSP to BIL (Bilbao, Spain) for $670 return. The particular routing was via Amsterdam, but there were also similar flights via Madrid.

Bilbao was a delightful place to explore for a little over a week. Easy public transportation, walkable in the main area. Guggenheim museum, river boat trips, Basque bar food (pintxos).

AirBNBs, hotels, food and transport were definitely not big-city prices. A bus from the airport to within easy walking distance of my AirBNB was 3 or 4 Euro.

My return through the airport was a particular treat. With a 7am flight, I was braced for the usual 3 hours early for international. It is tiny - something like 12 gates. Turns out it is only open for business at 5:30 am, so that was the earliest that would do me any good. (The doors are open before that and people probably had slept in the outer lobby area.) Anyway, doing my usual Nervous Nelly thing, I was first in line to go through security. Popped through the entire process in less than 5 minutes. Found the KLM lounge and enjoyed a Basque/Dutch breakfast and great coffee. Strolled to the gate and got on the plane. Minimal line.

Lots of little factors in this, but they add up. I sincerely recommend considering those smaller cities a few $$s and one more short leg on. For budget reasons, and because they are worth a visit in the first place.