FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Entry Enrollment on Arrival
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:23 am
peter h

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
I had a surreal, but rewarding experience yesterday at JFK. It wasn't EOA as it's generally understood, but the result was the same. Long story short, I got GE approval.

I'd applied on 8 Feb, with a trip from Bucharest to Phoenix planned for Easter - it included a LHR-JFK leg, so I was hopeful that I would be able to do EOA then. With all the long processing times, I started monitoring reported times on threads in the Trusted Travelers forum and recently the times were either within a couple of weeks or around 70 days. My arrival in JFK was 70 days after my application. It would be close!

I left Bucharest for London and then New York early on the 19th and checked my status then (which would have been close of business on the 18th in the US). It was still 'pending review'. I prepared myself for the worst, but asked at immigration whether my status could be checked. No one seemed to know, but the office who stamped me in told me about the enrollment office in T4 and said they should be able to tell me. I'd actually got through pretty quickly (it was less than 20 mins after I stepped off the plane at this point and I had 2hrs before my connection). So I hopped on the train to T4.

I tried to explain to the officer on the door what I wanted and he told me to wait. After 20 mins or so, I was thinking about giving up and heading to T8. However my name was called and was was asked to take seat. From what the officer was saying to me, it was obvious that I was being interviewed - I interrupted to ask if I'd been conditionally approved and he said 'of course, you would have received an email'. At the end, he told me that I had been approved and gave me some handouts - not 'you'll hear from us'. No emails about CA or after! However, it does mean that 'walk ins' there aren't impossible.

Another interesting thing is when I logged into my account, I could see both letters and both were headed with the 19th of April and exactly the same time - which was about 1:20 AM UK BST (or 8:20 PM NY time on the 18th)?? Not sure what to make of that, as the time doesn't make sense for the final approval. Still, not complaining!