FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:24 pm
MrJBoy

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by bht-kevin
Has anyone else had problems getting upgraded using BXP3 when booked as Premium Economy. It seems like its an ordeal every time. I just somehow lost an upgrade because it took Business Extra 45 minutes to figure out why they couldn't take from the C inventory only to have it taken by someone using Miles+Money or SWUs. I have SWUs sitting in my account and would have used them for a HKG->DFW upgrade. It seems like this is a problem EVERYTIME i try to upgrade from PE.

Am I just an isolated case?
I guess I was lucky last week, then.
I was waitlisted for P->C upgrade LAX-HKG by SWU for months. Two days prior to my departure C became available for a short time period, say 2 hours. I set up EF but I didn’t get a notification, though... I coincidentally found the C availability by myself. Recently EF notification is very slow and I don’t trust it.
Anyway I called Meeting Services immediately and told the agent that I wanted to use BXP3 to upgrade my seat P-> C.
The agent checked my reservation and wanted to confirm I didn’t want to use my SWU first then I was on hold for a few minutes while she was clearing up my reservation to get ready to use BXP3. She came back and asked me to give her BXP3 information. I refreshed my itinerary and the page showed my new business seat. The only difference between SWU and BXP3 upgrade was that my ticket was never reissued.
I saw horrible things about using BXP upgrades in this threads, so I was kinda surprised since it went well without any issues...