FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Questions on my Asia strategy (USA-SGN/REP-USA)
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:23 pm
RealHJ

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Sorry if I haven't been clear. I haven't found ANY business class tickets under $4000 (ex-USA) and that is more than I am willing to pay (last search, actually, nothing less than $4500 and that was only for certain city pairs so my total price would be higher depending on my open-jaw legs....Most itineraries in business are closer to $6500) So business class from the US isn't an option for this trip which is why I've been exploring other combos ;-)

I will look at PE on China Airlines and see what those trips are but not sure it would be my first preference if it's not a TON cheaper than the DL/VN combo would be.

And even though I'd be flying through ICN with the itinerary I've been looking at, no flights are on Korean Air....

MSPEconomist - might be worth it for me to call Delta and see how they'd price my broken itinerary. Worst they can do is tell me it can't be done or it will be too $$ for me ;-) Thanks.
Have you tried https://matrix.itasoftware.com ?

Put in the date ranges, and try to see what you can get for various city pairs and date ranges on SkyTeam (Alliance SkyTeam in advanced rules). May take a few minutes of trial and error to get the advanced search parameters right, but it's a very powerful tool. You can often also find better fares than you can get from delta.com, and then go to bookwithmatrix.com and book it right on delta.com. Well worth the time to get familiar with it.

Here's a tip: at first uncheck "Only show flights and prices with available seats" - that will show you all the fares that exist between your city pairs on the airlines/alliance and service class in your search, regardless of availability. Then check the box and look for what you know are some of the better fares that are available, to see if you can get it on some combination of dates that work for you.

Also of course try searching from CI, KE and other airline US gateway cities. If you don't mix in domestic DL connecting flights, pricing may be better (or sometimes, worse). Worth to check both ways, as getting domestic US connecting flights separately to, say, CI out of JFK, if you can get J in CI out of JFK for, say, $1500 less, may be well worth it.