FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - upgrading using points, MELLAX
View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:03 pm
jamienbaker

upgrading using points, MELLAX

All - apologies, but couldn't find a relevant sticky, and I'm a newbie to the program.

1) Booked MELLAX in J.
2) Opened QF account, transferred in requisite Bonvoy points. Obviously have no status.
3) Requested upgrade J to F, it was ~51,000 points, flight is mid-June and showing F9, with two seats having been allocated (not that maps are relevant).

What I'm looking for is guidance on how upgrades are executed (if at all). I assume QF doesn't clear waitlists to the point of cabin capacity, meaning (in theory) a flight could go out with 2 pax and leave 8 upgrade requests unsatiated?

Also, I'll want access to the F lounge in MEL, so I can always punt my QF # and revert back to AA ConciergeKey or BA Gold...but in doing so I'm assuming I'd no longer be eligible for the upgrade. Is it possible to simply SHOW one's Emerald-equivalent card to enter the lounge, and retain QF FF until boarding in hopes of procuring the upgrade? Or is there a definitive cutoff time at which point I can be 100% certain the upgrade isn't coming through?

And one last one - anything to prevent F and J pax from mingling in the upstaris lounge? I am have a good friend flying in J that I'd like to drink with.

Apologies for newbie questions, my searches were inconclusive.

Best to all - Jamie