FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PER-LHR On 787
Thread: PER-LHR On 787
View Single Post
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:30 pm
dddc

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by bensyd
I don't think i've ever seen someone describe an airline meal, and one in Y at that, as "scrumptious".

I've always thought the CX J food was the weak link in their product. QF has pretty decent food, but there is never enough of it. And on some routes where they offer their supper service you really do go hungry if you haven't eaten in the lounge prior.
Actually, I think airline meals have been tarred with a bad brush. There are some good ones, some great ones and some bad ones along with the mediocre ones - across all classes and and airlines. I used to purposely choose QF on BNE-SIN legs for the meals they used to serve in J and then connect to BA to LHR for the flat beds - the food on BA was so so at the time (c20years ago!), but not as exciting as QF J. Last time I flew QF J to/from Australia via Dubai the meal choices didn't excite and I got caught out with the late London departure and the "supper" option only meant a small bowl of food and desert. I didn't have time to eat in the lounge before hand so I was hungry by breakfast - only to have fruit and sweet roll offered. Not happy Jan! I had a better meal in PY on a previous trip where I experienced wet polenta for the first time and have since made it at home. The ready made stuff is easier, but with making from scratch I can season it the way I want. I was a bit disappointed with my last QF Y experiences to/from the UK with the larger mains, no side and bread roll chucked at you!! My recent Domestic J was fine with a soup being served as a refreshment. I was actually just hoping for sandwich or cheese and crackers, but that was very tasty.

Cathay I'd never flown before until late 2015 - and I found their meals really nice and yes, scrumptious. Have a look at airlnemeals.net for some examples . I'd found JAL's pretty good, although it's been 20 years+ since I've flown them (they dropped BNE some time ago). I've had some tasty meals in AA TATL in Y and J - my few F experiences were fine but more show than substance. Aegean Y had some really tasty meals onboard. I guess it's luck of the draw and how fussy you are.

The real disappointment is airline meals now is Buy On Board. They often have products with a longish shelf life or something that is basically carbs carbs carbs. And the pictures never look like the product you get. The filling is only around the middle, never to the ends of the sandwich, the instant noodle dishes look better than they taste. I've not tried BA's M&S experience yet, but if I'm going for a ready made sandwich, it's my first choice normally (Pret suck big time, vile products, even if they are freshly made).

There are some good meals out there. I just wonder if people are too dismissive of them or worse, take their anger on cramped seating (especially Y on the 787s) on the meals they are served. Meals form an important part of the customer experience as its a talking point to friends and family and can help "sell" an airline.

Has there been a photoblog of what's served MEL-PER-LHR and v.v. in Y yet? I've not come across anything yet.