FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United is expanding into A gates at Denver (& some C gates)
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:54 pm
GBadger

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
My issue with RTD buses is DIA could have made it convenient by having the pickup and dropoff at Level 5 as before. Instead it is at Level 1 with having to wait out in the open for the bus/train. If you want covered place in Level 1 to sit, then the only place is 4 seats on the way to the hotel escalators. Even the escalators up to security are exposed and darn cold during winter. Not to mention if you are checking bags, then you have to take the escalators then find elevators to get to baggage drop offs.

Whereas if you come by car, you can be dropped right off at checkin without any of the hassles that you go through taking transit. Why not channel all the cars to Level 1 to reduce congestion and move all Buses to Level 5? How about that? Probably never going to happen...

AB has improved over the last few years. More frequency and the 470 route. The 36/270/70 route was horrible including the one journey that went through Stapleton for a 2 hour trip.
I personally don't mind the level 1 drop off. It's really not that bad. If it's really that cold, you can take the elevators in the Westin, but I've never had this be an issue as I usually just walk up the escalator and it takes 20-30 seconds tops. I actually found the level 5 "waiting area" outside at the last island to be substantially colder than the tunnel on level 1 -- I distinctly remember getting wind-blasted there several times. And, given that the buses depart on a fixed schedule, you don't have to wait outside -- you can wait anywhere in the terminal and make your way out there a few minutes before departure of the bus.

Regarding the comparison to driving, not everyone who drives gets "dropped off" -- most of us would be parking in a remote lot somewhere and having an extended walk or shuttle ride .

I can't complain about the AB -- my Boulder pick up point is a short walk from home, I can work the entire bus ride, and it's by far the best deal in town price wise.

One thing that I will agree with you on is that it would be nice to have an upward-moving escalator inside the doors that lead right to the GS/1K baggage drop area. I don't often have bags, but when I do...