FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PER-LHR On 787
Thread: PER-LHR On 787
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:18 pm
bensyd
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by dddc
Wow. I flew Feb/Mar 4 sectors (LGW-HKG-BNE/MEL-HKG-LGW) all on the A350, albeit in Y and the food was really tasty. Maybe it's options you went for? I went for mostly the Asian style option unless it was a seafood one and they were all really tasty and filling. The only meal that I was a bit "meh" to was the English breakfast coming into Gatwick. It just was a lot blander than the other scrumptious meals, salads and desserts that had been served on the journeys. (The alternative was a congee that I'm not fussed on) I've flown Cathay a few times now since 2015 to Australia and back and the meals have normally been of a pretty high standard for Y class.

Crews were generally good. Coming out of MEL my other half missed out on his first meal choice (we were towards the back of Y) but they took everyone who'd missed out their first choice for the 2nd meal service and presented by name to them during that meal run.

One of the good things about the A330 (in Y at least!) is the 2-3-2 seating config. It was good either as a solo passenger or a couple.

The food on Cathay and the wider seats in Y (A350 at least) are just some of the reasons stopping me at looking at QF on the 787. The reviews on Seatguru of the narrow seats are really off putting for not just a ultra long haul flight,but any flight.
I don't think i've ever seen someone describe an airline meal, and one in Y at that, as "scrumptious".

I've always thought the CX J food was the weak link in their product. QF has pretty decent food, but there is never enough of it. And on some routes where they offer their supper service you really do go hungry if you haven't eaten in the lounge prior.