FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:42 pm
Beachfun71

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
Just requested my first miles + copay upgrade for my outbound flight, ORD->LAX->SYD, in late April. I am PPro, with a decent rolling EQD, and my purchased itinerary is in premium economy, with the domestic leg in Y, and the international leg in P.

I understand from what I’ve read that there is a low chance of the LAX->SYD upgrade clearing, but I figured I would try anyway.

My question is more about the domestic leg. ORD->LAX is still a decent ride, and I’d like to be up front if I can. When I requested the upgraded, the agent said he would remove the complimentary upgrade request. He said this would prevent an error later. So, I understand that the upgrade instrument will put me higher on the list, but... if the international leg does not clear, does that mean I am automatically excluded from the domestic upgrade?
As follow-up, my long haul cleared 30 hours out. Still waiting to see about the domestic leg, but it does not look likely.