FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:23 pm
VegasGambler
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
You know, the ones who have 40+ credit cards primarily for the sign up bonuses and have corporate cards that they "max out" each and every month so that at the end of the year they've accumulated 2,000,000 miles. They then book a ton of award travel never spending a nickel with the airline. Meanwhile us loyal elites who do 100,000+ BIS each and only earn a measly 150,000 miles are lucky if a milage upgrade we applied clears! The influencers get the caviar and us loyalist get the scraps. What a deal!

Look I'm not faulting them. Heck, I've got a couple of credit cards in my name partly for that purpose. What I do have a problem is how BISness travellers aren't getting prioritized over the plastic-necks!

Safe Travels,

James
Most likely the airline is prioritizing whatever makes them the most revenue.

I don't know about UA's financials but it's well publicized that AA makes more money selling miles than cash tickets. (This is sometimes mischaracterized as they make more money selling miles than flying people around -- which is ridiculous because miles are just an alternate form of payment). Someone who opens sufficiently many credit cards may very well be a better customer to the airline than someone who takes a couple of trips a month.