FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:18 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by carzaddict
thanks for letting me know about customs. thats good to know.

I thought about those same concerns, however I would be taking off at night in SFO (landing in EWR at 6am), so i feel like traffic would be light
yes, pre-clearance in YVR, so you’ll do immigration/customs in YVR. If you don’t have GE, definitely arrive at YVR 2 hours prior for those for formalities.

If youre on a night flight out out of SFO, I’d presume you are on an afternoon/early evening flight out of YVR. Don’t forget delays can build through the day (ie, delays in the morning continue through an aircraft’s schedule all day), and so from that perspective, they can get worse later in the day. Keep that in mind. There are situations/airports I would book a 45 minute connection in if traveling alone - through personally, I generally wouldn’t at SFO.

Also, just take note of who is operating your flight out of YVR so you know where to check in - UA codeshares on the AC YVR-SFO flights.