FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - best hotel in Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:56 am
chinmoylad
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by clubeurope
my statement or Island Shangri-La?

I haven't yet stayed at the newer hotels like The Rosewood or The Murray, but I would make it clear that in my opinion, the best hotels in Hong Kong are the classic luxury hotels of HK. By this I would regard the original Mandarin on Connaught Road, as well as the Four Seasons at IFC.

As subjective as this is, Upper House isn't really my type of hotel, so I don't quite like it, and The Peninsula is on the wrong side of the harbour (full of afternoon-tea goers and tourists as well if I may add, really ruins the mood). I would go to Landmark Mandarin for Amber, but would stay at original Mandarin as Landmark just seems over pretentious, and the rooms have a very nouveau-riche vibe (don't mean it in a bad way, but it just feels so flashy).

I don't quite like the vibe in TST so, I wouldn't regard anything on Kowloon to be "the best" in HK.
Currently at The Four Seasons in Hong Kong.
The hotel needs a bit of a refresh - everything is actually in great condition, really well maintained for the most part, but it just feels like now would be a good time to do it with all the other hotels recently opening/about to open etc. The rooms are pretty standard/nice luxury hotel built in late 90s/early 2000s set in Asia, but a good size. View is good.
Service has been fantastic. Love the in-app concierge, and the concierge actually knows how to assist (I'm looking at you Murray...)

Having said that, I'm not sure how Four Seasons counts as one of Hong Kong's 'classic' luxury hotels? It opened mid 2000s.

Also, Mandarin Oriental is also full of day trippers/afternon tea goers (Clipper Lounge).