FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Married Segment and Up-faring One Segment
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:29 pm
AlwaysAisle

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
BOS-NRT and NRT-PVG are both in Q fare, both flights on JL flight number purchased via AA.com. Entire itinerary is multi city BOS-PVG-HND/NRT-BOS.

Multi city function on AA.com was useless, JAL website multi city was also useless. I even called AA and JAL reservation but both agents could not construct the routing, indicating some segment is not available.

Then went to Google Flights, could construct the routing no problem, able to purchase via AA.com. Only problem was that Google Flight could not construct routing with mixed class, some route in PremEco and some in Eco. If I choose PremEco on Google Flights then segment without Prem Eco come out as class of service not available and not able to book in Eco.

So I decided to purchase flight all in Eco using Google Flights via AA.com, and call in to upfare BOS-NRT segment. Then this is situation when I try to upfare. BOS-NRT segment is the only flight with PremEco offered, all other flights do not have PremEco.

One agent even suggested trying upfare from JAL, but JAL agent told me the ticket was purchased via AA so only AA can upfare. No agent said anything about PVG-HND or NRT-BOS segment has anything to do with this upfare process. All agents seems to imply that BOS-NRT and NRT-PVC is married and that is causing the problem with upfare.

Is it this difficult to purchase multi city ticket? Yes, JL flight number on Q, I will only get 50% EQM. Return NRT-BOS is AA flight on AA flight number NRT-ORD-BOS so will get 100% EQM.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Apr 15, 2019 at 1:43 pm