FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tight Connections
View Single Post
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalker70

Originally Posted by Often1
If you are on one ticket, at a minimum, the carrier causing the delay will reroute you. That is the case whether EC 261/2004 applies or not. Given that UA sells this, it is within MCT. Whether it is within SCT (Sensible Connection Time) is really a subjective matter and largely depends on how tight OP's schedule is.
Keep inind SCT varies alot depending on status and airport. For instance, I wouldn't mind a 3 or 4 hour layover at EWR since I can swing by the LH lounge and enjoy the great food there. OTOH the OP doesn't have that luxury and regardless of how you want to sugarcoat it, EWR isn't an airport most would enjoy spending several hours in just to protect the connection.

I've also had a 3 hour connection blown recently due to a controllable delay (congestion at YUL). Hence connection times don't necessarily tell you whether you'll make the connection or not. Airlines aren't in the business of misconnecting passengers. It is expensive for them and can often exceed the cost of the ticket!