FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:47 am
msg75

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I've observed that BG1 often surges forward when they hear the "1" in 1K. It's almost 100% of the time at any Hawaii airport because the first people in line tend to be leisure travelers who bought F tickets for a "trip of a lifetime" and have been standing at the head of the line for a half-hour before boarding starts.
Encountered this several times at leisure destinations, the worse being boarding in AUA. The Mrs and I were milling about waiting for the early pre-boarders and then the call for 1Ks to board. The couple at the front of Group 1 (in line for at least 30 mins) were foaming at the mouth to board. As soon as the "1" in "1K" was uttered they surged forward along with the rest of Group 1 in tow. The GA started scanning and boarding Group 1, and we had to push our way around them from the side to board accompanied by dirty looks and mumbled comments about "cutting" and "rudeness" (directed at us, the only 1Ks I could see). It's for this reason the Mrs doesn't even LIKE boarding when 1K is called because of the drama that can ensue from a rowdy Group 1 and indifferent GA. She would prefer to get in the back of the Group 1 line than deal with the potential drama. It's a great idea, but when inexpertly implemented at the gate it can make the boarding experience unnecessarily stressful.