FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tips for using points for vacation flights
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:27 am
JohnCecil

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Angry Tips for using points for vacation flights

I'm a regular work/biz traveller, and have amassed what I *thought* was a small fortune of 110k points. I'm trying to use those points for vacation travel, and the only available flights are ridiculously long (17hours for an 8 hour flight), or at horrible times (departing at 12:25am).

What's the deal? I'm pounding on the United site, but figure that I must be missing something. Either that, or it's time to move to another airline (or stop loyalty altogether).

<Additional detail at request of @BlueZebra)
We're a family of four, and our ideal trip is from SFO to San Juan, Costa Rica - so between the North America and Latin American regions, with a flight time of ~8 hours with a reasonable layover in Houston. As a backup, I'm looking at a flight from Sac to Fort Lauderdale (in-laws), and find 12.5k fares, but only for long layovers or ridiculous timing.

I'm more surprised over the schedule/timing than anything else, and know what the regular schedule for awards is - but find that those only apply for these ridiculous schedules.

Thanks, John

Last edited by JohnCecil; Apr 14, 2019 at 8:40 am