FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Star (*A) Gold Benefits for Companions while flying A3/OA
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:02 am
NWIFlyer
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Despite what anyone tells you the rules are the rules with regards to cabin baggage weight. If its over 8KG you may get away with it you may not. It can vary from flight to flight. Check in agent to Check in agent and indeed station to station. For example on my recent flights Swissport in DUB were weighing and tagging everyones hand luggage and this caused both delays and indeed disgruntled passengers. While most of the time you may get away with it there is always a chance that on your flight you may not.
I would say that the Dublin handling agents are notorious for applying rules strictly irrespective of airline - so for A3 you can also read BA. I’ve also seen bags weighed at LGW, and taken, but it didn’t appear any charge was made.

In ATH, it’s a vastly different situation. I think the OP is savvy enough to know nothing is guaranteed, but if the option is to pay a hefty fee when you’re almost certain to get to the gate if carry-on only then I’d certainly be taking the risk.