FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westjet future B787 flights to LHR over LGW
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:25 pm
Jonsie

Originally Posted by codfather
Seeing as how Westjet is trying to go head-to-head with AC in providing TATL service with a proper business class product, I wonder if they will end up flying to LHR? It seems that they are attempting a complete rebranding, and moving away from the original low-cost concept that brought them so much success. I don't really see how they can continue to improve while still flying into Gatwick (yuck) over Heathrow.

Perhaps a lack of available slots at Heathrow is the most obvious answer, but I would still like to see Westjet pursue this a little more in the future. They are definitely improving now, but it is essential that they begin to move away from these low-cost airports if they are going to continue this trend!
I don't see how flying into LHR would benefit them over LGW. As a Brit and ex Londoner now based in YYC, I, like many others prefer LGW over LHR. For tourists heading to Central London, Gatwick although further, is actually easier to get to. Direct train service to St Pancras (for Eurostar to Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam etc), London Bridge and Victoria are massive draws. Not to mention the on site car hire at LGW, which for me is the reason I fly WS. If you fly into LHR you have to wait for the shuttle, then its a 10 to 15 minute journey to the car hire office. At Gatwick you jump on the monorail and a 2 minute walk and you're there. I know, Gatwick is a bit grimey in places but I would choose it every time over Heathrow. If you're reading this Westjet , don't you dare move!