FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:29 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Division
I'm looking into booking a flight and I have two ETC's. On the payment page I can only enter one ETC. Is there a way to combine two ETC's into one? According to the wiki a new ETC can be created with the expiration date of the earliest expiring ETC. I asked United about this on Facebook and they say you can only redeem two ETC's by making a phone booking.

Is calling really gonna be my only option to get these two ETC's redeemed? I'm not residing in the US and I'd like to skip the phone bill and 'booking service fee' that starts at $25.
you don’t need to book over the phone. But if there’s only one traveler, then you have to have them combined first, then can use the new one when you make the booking online. ETC terms are always one per passenger. If there are two passengers you are booking for, then you can use both ETCs for the same booking.

if you’re flying a round trip on a route that has one way fares that are half a round trip (many, but not all, domestic routes have this), then you can also book two one ways. Just note there are disadvantages to this (I.e, if you find later on you need to make changes to both the outbound and return, you will need to pay change fees twice).