FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Last minute fares with OA/A3 from Greek islands to ATH
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:01 am
Knobbgb

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by zak_aviation
Does anyone know how last minute fares work (if they exist at all) with Olympic or Aegean flying from a Greek island to ATH? Has anyone found any tickets heavily discounted at the last minute? I'm planning to head back to Athens for the holidays, and I was thinking of traveling by boat because the prices have skyrocketed . I'm flexible, and I can leave any day during the next week, so I was wondering if I should start checking for any last minute fares and travel by plane instead. Any previous experience? Thanks!
The only time you'll find last minute cheap fares is when they suddenly add an extra flight. The seats will start out at U class and will quickly increase. I had this happen once when there had been a ferry strike for 3 or 4 days (in winter though, when there is slack in the fleet).In the evening all the flights were full and I checked at 5am next day - being quite happy to pay the top price if a seat had become available, only to find a brand new flight had been added and I got one of the first seats. By the time it departed (1pm) it was totally full. Don't expect this to happen in summer though - there just aren't enough spare aircraft. I've never seen an domestic fare go down in price other then when they have a special 'sale' and release a load of P class seats. This only ever happens a month or more before the flight.