FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COU Shut Down Over Apparent Runway Issue
View Single Post
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:17 pm
HLCinCOU

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm not sure that's the best reply when your customers cancel flights due to safety concerns.
I think it's a reasonable response when all the airlines in question (and the FAA) signed off on the renovation that was just done to the runway, and then suddenly bailed apparently without warning. The FAA has absolutely not ever said there is any safety issue here. Granted, given recent totally unrelated events their credibility isn't exactly at its historical peak, but that still goes quite a long way for me. And don't forget, the fourth carrier was just continuing right along flying as scheduled. So the idea that this was a huge safety concern and all blame lands on COU seems wrong to me. I'm way more annoyed with the way the carriers handled this than the airport.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Yes. Among other conditions, such as density altitude (varies with heat, humidity), runway length, distance to and height of obstructions, runway surface, prevailing wind direction and velocity, etc.
Sure, I think I was aware of all those factors. Although I suppose I could have discounted "runway surface" for the same reason I wasn't clear on surface moisture...that you aren't really using the wheels for much in a normal takeoff. I mean...other than you know, supporting the airframe and rolling and whatnot...but the point is traction doesn't seem like a crucial factor. After skywardhunter's explanation above it does seem super obvious that being able to stop if you need to abort is also important, and in that context traction is absolutely critical...just wasn't really thinking about that. Anyway, as always thanks for the knowledge.

Originally Posted by ldonnelly
Looks like AA 385 was cancelled today. Did they rebook you?
Sure did. Interestingly, it looks like they moved some equipment from COU to STL and added flights? When I booked AA 385 I was looking at expertflyer, and the flight I ended up on (AA 9405) wasn't in the list at that point (or I was blind or misconfigured my EF search, or...). Actually was a more convenient time (vs. 385) as well, and they rebooked me directly into J. It was on a CRJ, which is not what usually does STL-DFW, and the flight attendant was talking about the COU closure, which is what made me think they moved them over there.

Also, said FA blatantly misinformed some pax about the situation...told them COU was going to be closed for 75 days. I spoke up and said he had mistaken the 2/20 closure time for the airport closure time and the airport would only be down a week, but he continued to swear he was right even after I pulled up the news article on it. Complete with the predictable appeal to authority argument because he works for the airline and I don't. Awesome.

Originally Posted by Antarius
OP needs to change their FT handle to be HLC(stuck)inCOU
Hehe, yeah, indeed. Luckily I haven't been actually stuck...but I'll be happy when it's back up and I don't have to drive out to STL.

Last edited by HLCinCOU; Apr 11, 2019 at 8:23 pm Reason: mixed up posts and misattributed skywardhunter's explanation to autdi