FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott's targeted "Surprise and Delight" promotion
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:01 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This "surprise and delight" reminds me of Northwest Airlines. When DL announced they were acquiring NW, NW would provide free upgrades to elites to fill the business class cabin on TPAC and TATL flights. I received quite a few of these (SEA-NRT, PDX-NRT, SEA-AMS). Remember the promo @MSPeconomist?

This is where I wish FT had a "sad" or "frowny" face.

Reminds me of what UA Global Services used to be. I only hit GS once but I've been a member on the UA board for years. "Back in the good ol' days..."

-RM
Indeed I do. Some people claimed that it was Bob Soukup's last decision as director (I forget his exact title) of WorldPerks to give the phantom upgrades (up to five per flight) to selected PMNW Plat Elites. Some said that this was a parting gift, knowing that things with the merger were going to be bad for elites.

I'm LTT and Amb, yet I was targeted (selected especially for me?) for the double nights promo. Ridiculous. Does Starriott think I'm so stupid that I'm going to stay more in response to some additional nights credit that will never do me any good unless h<edited> Bonvoy creates a lifetime Amb level.