FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ski run grading at Whistler vs Colorado/Utah resorts
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:46 am
TuxTom

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by evergrn
Thanks @TuxTom !

Its interesting how you categorize the resorts. Makes sense, though.

We’ve been doing family/private lessons off and on. The tough thing is that the instructors are such hit and miss! Yes Banff is beautiful indeed. I’ve been there a few times in summer, but have not skiied yet.

Whistler has amazing terrain for intermediates. And so it can be amazing when the snow is good. But unfortunately the snow is more often bad than good. Hence I’m considering other places.
I worked as a ski instructor for a number of years, mostly on the east coast, but agree that the ski schools at these resorts can be very hit or miss, especially with the kids programs. At times, they're just a glorified baby sitters. However, that really shouldn't happen in a private lesson. The guys (and gals) taking the private lessons should be the top instructors from that schools staff. While I'm not a fan of Vail corp as a whole, the ski schools at Vail and Beaver Creek are very well regarded for the depth and experience of their staff.