FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:07 am
B747-437B

Originally Posted by craigsf
I'm going to be connecting through JNB from Windohoek, Namibia (WDH) to SYD then onto HNL. I'm on SAA for WHD-JNB and Quantas (QF) from JNB-SYD-HNL, so this is on two different tickets. I have a 5 hour layover in JNB. My plan is to check my bag as I am spending a few hours outside of the airport in SYD but should be within carry-on limits so would consider sticking with carry-on. Will I have to go through immigration and customs at JNB or can I stay in the transit area?

-If I have carry-on only, I can stay in the transit area, but is there even a way to check-in with QF at that point?

-If I do check a bag it sounds like there is an opportunity to use a re-check desk, but QF isn't exactly a major carrier at JNB. Would they even have a re-check desk (and would it be open 5 hours before the flight)?

-If I take my bag carry-on, can I check it in at SYD for just the second leg of my trip, or is that something that's just not done by airlines?

-Or is the best thing since I presumably have the time just to fully clear immigration and customs, check in at QF like normal and make my back through immigration and security?

Thanks for the help on this!
1) SAA should be able to check your bags in from Windhoek all the way to Honolulu.
2) There are dozens of passengers who do similar routings between SA-QF every day, so they are extremely used to passengers connecting airside in transit. Qantas has a large transit desk at the airside connection center.
3) You cannot use the re-check desks to check-in for an international itinerary, only for domestic. The re-check desks are located after immigration, baggage claim and customs. There is no Qantas presence here.