FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate Status
View Single Post
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:40 pm
Goldorak
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Macaron54
The selling pitch for limiting to two the number of courtesy upgrades per year is the absence of restriction on the booking class of the original ticket (as opposed to other top-tier programs offering more complementary upgrades, though with some restrictions on the booking class). Today, I learned to my dismay from the Travel Assistant team that there are in fact strict restrictions on booking classes, e.g., premium-economy A tickets are not eligible to business upgrades. This is news to me. Can someone confirm?
Originally Posted by breton1fr
That is correct. From the top of my mind, V and N are not eligible. Not being able to chose the exact class when booking is therefore an issue.
Originally Posted by Macaron54
Thanks, breton1fr. It is, indeed, an issue. Are these restrictions documented somewhere? They certainly do not show anywhere on our Flying Blue homepage.
hey guys, I posted all the details a year ago in this thread
so to refresh your memory, look here :
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29670117-post1187.html

there were very few restrictions for the originally-booked fare, and Premium Eco A fare was not excluded. This is worrisome to know that it is now excluded. But is this really true (I mean could the agent be wrong) ?
because it doesn’t really make sense to me as a A fare is more expensive than some upgradable Eco fares
We should investigate whether they changed the rules I described in the linked post. I wouldn’t be surprised if there have been a few changes (more restrictions) based on my recent experience :
- last year, I used my 2 upgrade certificates on a September round trip CDG-BOS. I called the TA and everything was done very easily booking me in the cheapest Eligible Y fare (I don’t know which one) and instant upgrade. I paid around €650.
- last month, I wanted to use the 2019 certificates also for a US trip next summer. I looked online first and saw that I could buy it in Eco for about €700 (which is not too bad for the summer). Of course, I wasn’t sure that, at that price, it was in an eligible fare for the upgrade, so I call the TA. They said that the cheapest Y fare they have to book me in for the upgrade was around €1250. which is a very significant difference.
So I finally didn’t take it and used miles instead to book the ticket in J...for about 173K and something like €530 in taxes