FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business travel - expensing refunded transactions
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:36 am
Snuggs

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by davie355
Say you’re in a hotel for work, paying with your personal credit card. You check out and receive a PDF folio by email. You take the hotel’s post-stay survey and express disappointment with some aspect of the hotel. The hotel contacts you a day later and refunds a partial amount, as a goodwill gesture, to your credit card.

When it comes to reimbursement from your client or employer, do you expense the original amount or the reduced amount that you actually ended up paying?
Funny that you call it an "ethics question". By asking the question, you indicate that you already know that this action would be wrong. If you find justification in these paragraphs, good for you. And not so good for the rest of us.

Interesting how many here have equated getting punished with doing wrong. If you don't get punished, it isn't wrong. When driving, I speed all the time. Even when stopped, I am rarely ticketed. Does that make all my speeding legal?