FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business travel - expensing refunded transactions
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyingHighlander

Originally Posted by Often1
The answer seems simple.

What is your husband's employer's policy?

This can be rationalized any number of different ways, but the fact remains that he presumably has agreed to be bound by the policies and that is the end of the discussion.

If the question is, what would I do as an employer, the answer is simple. Small potato stuff such as this detracts from business operations. The employee gets the statement credit.
its defintely a bit of a grey area sometimes. I have seen corporate travel policies that prohibit reimbursement of services obtained for business use via the use of reward points or similar. That is primarily to prevent flights and hotels being booked on points and reimbursement sought in cash, however they grey area in my mind is over items like free Uber credits from Amex Plat, wifi passes, or expensing $10 for breakfast that you got for free in a lounge (via a paid for membership of whatever sort).

My employer usually takes the view of - if I can submit a receipt for a specific expense in $, they will reimburse that $.
I err on the side of caution. It's not worth being fired over $15.