FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:19 pm
roxie

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by akhibhag
I had a rather strange experience calling the global services number. As has been previously discussed, I was on hold for almost 5 mins before my call was answered. The agent then asked for my mileage plus number and upon looking up my number after I provided him the info,he did acknowledge my status. This would suggest that the call got routed through to a non GS agent. I was calling to upgrade a flight out of London. For whatever reason the agent wasnt able to do it systematically so it took him almost 25 mins to manually apply the upgrade. Then he said that United collects taxes on upgrades out of London, so he will have to charge my card $100. Although odd, I said fine. Once he finished what he had to do, I hung up the phone. The agent was extremely courteous for the entire 30mins I spent on the phone with him, while I grew increasingly impatient.After hanging up,I decided to check my itinerary on the app and was surprised to see that no upgrades were applied!So I called up the global services desk again, and this time a very helpful GS agent answered the phone, applied the upgrade without any issue....so this leaves me wondering what happened during the first phone call. Very unusual!
If I'm on hold for more than a minute, I usually hang up and call back later if not urgent, since I'm more likely to get a non GS agent.