FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Beijing airport taxi scam attempt at taxi information desk
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:03 am
Isochronous

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
Paying twice the taxi fare is incredibly stupid. I go to Beijing every month, and have never waited in the taxi queue for more than 15 minutes.
But if you don't have a Chinese face and don't speak Mandarin, you will be racially profiled and hustled by scammers. It's a sad reality of life as a foreigner in PEK and most other parts of China.

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Best Advice...Move On
Do not contest your cab fare and then get into a an argument with your taxi driver in China. Because if you end up coming to blows, there is a decent chance you will end up in jail and there is even some chance you will end up in jail merely for not paying.
What should you do to prevent these sorts of problems? One, let it go.
You’ve been scammed out of ten dollars? Put that in perspective and move on.

https://www.chinalawblog.com/2017/08...em-please.html
That's Chinese justice for you!

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Exact thing happened to me at that Maglev station. It was marked as a taxi and parked near/next to the official taxi rank. Also rigged meter and "can't pull into the hotel driveway"
This is why I avoid the Maglev - aside from the fact that Longyang Road terminus is nowhere near the centre of Shanghai - that taxi rank has always been notorious for scammers.