FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best non-"high-end" sushi in Tokyo?
View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:07 pm
kaka
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by janehoya
I have read through this thread, and also other ones in the Japan forum, but I can't find an answer to my question. Our family loves sushi but our teenage son and I are finicky eaters (we only eat about half a dozen types of fish). We do not want to order omakase or "set" menus as we don't want to insult the chef by refusing to eat any of the offerings. Is anyone able to recommend high quality restaurants that will allow us to order a la carte, or does our non-adventousness relegate us to sushi boat restaurants? We will be staying at the Andaz Tokyo in April for eight nights.

Thank you so much.
oh, and thinking about which, maybe you can consider a seafood izakaya which also serves different sort of good fish. I've seen foreigners going to those sort of places and ordering specific types of sushi or sashimi. You will not offend the chef at the same scale even if you do not like your food there and yet fish will still be fresh. (I feel the biggest difference of all things in a seafood izakaya is their knifing skills and serving fish/rice with finesse). Sometimes I prefer those so I don't have to go through having 4 chefs looking at me eating a very ordinary sushi meal.

Surely around the Andaz being the CBD there would be one around the corner and is a better ones rather than the worse izakayas - you may have to deal with smoking indoors tho. I found this near the IC ANA, and they serve 1000 yen chu-toro lunch sets along with a few other sets that's all a quarter of the price of sushi sets mentioned above. Their dinner menu is much wider and you'll get more control of what you want. Im sure there's an equivalent around the Andaz.

I have a rec around Shinjuku Station too.

Last edited by kaka; Apr 7, 2019 at 1:18 pm