FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any chance AA doesn't succumb to variable award prices?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:23 pm
javabytes
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Not at all. Something like DTW-PHX 14 hour overnight PHX-FLG is utterly ridiculous. Waiving the 4-hr domestic connection rule makes more saver award inventory appear on the calendar but you can't assume it's a reasonable routing. The sensible routings may only be available as AAnytime awards.

United disclosed that 86% of miles redeemed last year were for awards on UA metal. The idea that everybody's redeeming for long-haul business and first on partners is just utter fiction. When AA messes up redemptions on its own metal it guts AAdvantage.
You made a giant leap into two things I didn’t say...

I said nothing about routings. I said IF you found saver availability (whatever the routing), you were guaranteed the price in miles. That is no longer the case in a dynamic redemption program.

Nor did I say that everybody is redeeming for premium cabin, or other fares (like last-minute Y) where the award price offered considerable value relative to the cash price. This forum over-represents the population who do. People who do are going to get squeezed the hardest by a change to dynamic award pricing.