FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Status and upgrades on AA vs DL: seek advice
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:15 am
michaelaeaston

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum, American Gold
Status and upgrades on AA vs DL: seek advice

Hello. I post seeking some advice. Most of my travel for the past fifteen years has been on Delta or Delta partners. I have had a Delta branded American Express card personally and through my business. We routinely run around 400k through the cards plus enough butt in seat miles to hit Platinum status each year. Well, I am moving to Florida and will be flying SRQ-CLT-SBY and SRQ-CLT-PHL-SBY, and return, around 15 times a year. Because only American flies into SBY I figure I'm going to be taking this airline a lot and I want to maximum status opportunities. I'd like to ask opinions and recommendations on switching to the American Airlines branded credit card (or another) and other ways to get more out of this new flight pattern. In addition to those fairly regular FL-MD trips we also do probably three to five other flights a year, either to Europe or to various destinations across the USA for business meetings. We pay for business class when going to Europe and typically do pay for First class when flying to business meetings. I am not sure I'd pay for first class on the Florida to SBY flights because they're so short and the flights into and out of SBY are on economy-only regional jets.

I hadn't flown American all that much because my limited experiences have been of a pretty lousy product compared to Delta and having that branded American Express card brought some perks.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions on how to maximize the new travel pattern on American.