FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:37 pm
Toshbaf
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
ition of the OAG, I have found five different international flights into the U.S. that are each operated with a unique aircraft type that was manufactured outside of the U.S. Each flight is operated by a different foreign airline and in each case, the route is the only route into the U.S. using that aircraft type. In other words, you will find only one – not two – routes into the U.S. operated by say, a Dassault Mercure. And again, we are working only with schedules published in the North American OAG. So then, if you’re up for it, identify each of the five routes, airlines and aircraft types.

I came up with four candidates fairly easily, but then realized that the word “jet” doesn’t appear in the question
  1. Air France, Caravelle, Port Au Prince (PAP) to Miami (MIA) Correct! Air France AF 240 Port Au Prince (PAP) 1115a-120p L Miami (MIA) Caravelle Daily
  2. CSA Czech Airlines, IL-62, Montreal (YUL) - JFK Correct! CSA OK 598 Montreal (YUL) 210p-330p New York (JFK) IL62 Monday only
  3. BOAC, VC-10, Toronto (YYZ) - Detroit (DTW) Correct airline & aircraft ~ incorrect route
  4. Quebecair, BAC One-Eleven, Quebec (YQB) - Boston (BOS) Correct aircraft ~ incorrect airline and route
  5. Trans Canada, Vanguard, Montreal (YUL) - Chicago (ORD) Incorrect
Alright, J Man - you're off to a fairly good start here. Quebecair did fly 111s but not yet into the U.S.. Additionally, the fifth aircraft we're looking for was also a jet.
I'd say the aircraft for #5 is a Comet operated by Mexicana MEX - LAX. That was true until and including 1970 but I'm not sure if long enough for the question.