FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:48 pm
Fiordland

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly
Agreed. What I find "interesting" is that (and obviously I could have missed it..) I have not seen ANY comment from a Canadian or American MAX pilot on experiencing similar difficulties since this plane has been flying. Are the NA aircraft better equipped with safety features than the 2 stricken 737's or, have the NA pilots been told to keep quiet on the subject by their respective companies. If this design issue is a root cause I cannot believe that there would have been zero reports of problems in Canada or the US with the approx 100 frames in service over here. Maybe it is what is NOT being said by pilot community that should raise concerns.....
There are reports of Sunwing (a Canadian airline) making an emergency landing of a Max aircraft due to the navigation systems acting up. Not certain if it is related or a different problem. I think there have been some reports out of the US as well. There are around 350-400 of these aircraft world wide. There may be differences with how pilots are trained and certified in Canada however I think it would be hard to make a statistical argument that the North American pilots are better prepared.