FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - should I get my points back?
View Single Post
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:47 pm
Jaunts

Originally Posted by ksucats
Here is the situation. Last Saturday, my son and I decided to go to KC (3 hour drive) for the NCAA regionals on Sunday. We decided to get a room and go the day before so we didn't have to drive up and back on the same day. I booked the room at approximately 3:30 right before we left. I used points. Less than an hour into the drive, I blow my tire. I pull over and as we are putting on the spare, I call the hotel and tell them what happened & asked what my options were. The guy on the phone immediately said you can cancel your reservation with no penalty because of the situation. I said great, because I would rather take care of my car and cancel the trip, but I would have borrowed another vehicle once I got my car home if I couldn't get out of the room.

After about an hour, I noticed no cancellation email and my reservation still showed active. I called the hotel again and got the same guy and he said yes, your room was canceled I took care of it. So I was expecting the points to show back up in a couple days or so. Much to my surprise, the next morning I got an app notification that I could check out of my room via the app. So I used the option to message the hotel via the app, which they never responded. I eventually emailed Marriott later that day asking about getting my points back. They still haven't responded and still no points.
I hope you got the name of the rep that you spoke with that cancelled the room for you. Since you are choosing to go through this process by email and messaging, that takes time. Getting a response from Marriott by email can take weeks.

I would recommend waiting until business hours on Monday to call the GM of the hotel. Tell him the name of the person who cancelled the room, and hopefully, the GM can assist you.