FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:57 am
zombietooth

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by sincx
Why did prices drop after deregulation? Competition. Why are prices going back up? Reduced competition due to consolidation.

And for the record, the underlying source for the services decreases and price increases is a WSJ article, which is about as far away from "anti-globalization" as you can get.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/airline...est-1441912457
Airline Consolidation Hits Smaller Cities Hardest
Fliers fare unevenly after big carriers merge, place emphasis on profits
Routes to smaller cities and towns are less profitable than large business centers. What I think you are upset about is that major airlines will no longer subsidize unprofitable routes merely for the sake of the route network. I believe in paying what the market says something should cost, not what a government bureaucrat says it should cost. While I am not happy having to pay 1K O/W for Y fares to CPR and HDN, etc., I am happy that UA is maintaining these routes and giving me the option to get there.

Did you know that candy prices are up almost 20% in 1 1/2 years? What about real estate in Palo Alto?
Sorry, my friend, it is all about supply and demand. It has nothing to due with lack of competition or anti-competitive practices.