FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:12 am
beachfan

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by festriaqua
I'm flying SLC-LAX-HKG next week. SLC-LAX is booked as Y and the LAX-HKG leg is W. I requested an award upgrade for only the LAX-HKG leg of the flight for 15K miles (no cash copay). I have a couple of questions:

1. When I called to request for the award upgrade, I was given the choice to upgrade both segments or just one segment. I was told if I request upgrade for both segments and was only given an upgrade for 1/2, it would still cost 15K miles. So basically if I cleared upgrade on the SLC-LAX leg but not LAX-HKG, I would still lose the 15K miles. Is that right? This is my first time using award upgrades, so just wanted to understand the program.

2. My request for LAX-HKG was put in about a month and a half ago right after booking the flight. Currently, half of the business cabin is empty. What are my chances of clearing the upgrade for this flight?

3. I do not have my return flight yet, but is thinking to book one with an AA codeshare on CX or JL metal. I am assuming the award upgrade doesn't apply on codeshares?

Thanks!
#1 yes, you got good advice.
#2 don't know, there's a separate thread on that flight which might be more helpful
#3 correct