FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:19 pm
boswings

Programs: UA, LX, DL
In the end I really think this is a good thing. When FFP's were first introduced about 40 years ago they created one the biggest incentive bubbles ever. The misinformation to the markets that was created by rewarding almost every consuming activity with airline points allowed demand for travel to explode and with it huge consumption for resources and services that was really not needed. Frivolous traveling has become the norm, unethical expenses are being booked in almost every company for the sake of collecting miles, huge amount of damage is being done to the environment both on the ground and in the air to accommodate everyones travel whims, and airliners are being built and hydrocarbons are being pumped in complete disregard of climate change. Thankfully the airlines now operating as monopolies or oligopolies are not noticing that by getting greedy they risk destroying the long term love affair of consumers with their product.

I had always been a huge fan of these programs collecting millions of milles since I was in my early twenty's (I'm now in my mid 50's). I was able to enjoy Pan Am's First Class galore (among others) with availability and service that would make today FF's eat their heart out. Nonetheless, I always suspected of the detrimental effects that unchecked growth of these programs would bring about -some of which I mention above. So, I'm thankful that United is taking these steps (unknowingly) in order to bring us all back into our senses. Perhaps we will now start booking again based on our real travel needs at price points that we can afford rather than for the sake of collecting ever more worthless miles.